Talk about a dish that you want to lick the plate clean when there’s none left! My sister had this recipe on hand when I went to visit her and we made it one day to eat for our breakfast for the rest of the week. Once the hash is made for the week the only thing you do each morning is cook an egg along with warming up the hash.
First thing we did was place the turkey bacon on a foil lined baking sheet and place in a cold oven. You turn on the oven to 425 degrees and let the bacon cook for 20 minutes while the oven is heating up, after 20 minutes flip the bacon over and cook for another 10 minutes or until it reaches the crispness you desire. I learned this technique pretty recently and it always makes perfect bacon.
While the bacon was cooking we cubed up sweet potatoes, diced a red onion and sliced the Brussels sprouts.
Once everything was prepped we sprayed a pan with cooking spray and over medium heat added the yams, onion and garlic. We allowed them to soften. Next, we stirred in the Brussels sprouts and coconut oil, seasoned it all with salt and pepper and sauteed it until the Brussels sprouts were bright green and tender.
When the bacon had cooled down we crumbled it and added it to the pan and stirred all the ingredients together.
Just like that the hash was ready!
Each morning we threw some of the hash into a pan to heat up then we scrambled a few eggs with the hash and breakfast was served! You can cook the eggs any way you like but neither of us know how to cook eggs beside scrambling them (crazy, I know). Not sure if it was the turkey bacon or the coconut taste from the oil but everyday I couldn’t stop talking about how delicious it was. I’m sure my sister was sick of me saying how much I loved it.
Sweet Potato & Brussels Sprout Hash
The original recipe said it makes 5 servings but my sister and I ate this for 5 days, all depends on how much you would like along with the eggs you make
10 slices turkey bacon
5 cups sweet potatoes, cubed
1 small red onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups Brussels sprouts, stemmed and sliced
5 tbsp coconut oil
salt and pepper, to taste
eggs – depending on the day I use 1-2
- Cook the turkey bacon anyway you like, whether it be in the microwave, oven or stovetop. You want it to be crisp enough to crumble.
- Add the yams, onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Stir in the Brussels sprouts along with 5 tbsp of coconut oil. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste. Saute for 8-10 minutes until the Brussels sprouts are bright green and fork tender.
- Add the crumbled bacon back into the pan and stir.
- When ready to eat, put about 1-2 cups of hash back in a pan on the stove and heat up. Prepare the eggs along with the hash. Enjoy!